Friday, November 24, 2006

Guitarist and Writer (3rd & Fairfax)

Rest in Peace, Anita O'Day. (Who would have thought she'd make it to 2006?)

At the moment I'm listening to her Verve compilation (via Napster). Followed by Blossom Dearie Sings Comden And Green. Its the first time I've ever really listened to Comden and Green and I like how they blend world-weary sophistication with the just plain sweet and romantic. (Yes, I know that Betty Comden also passed away this weekend.)

Okay, now its late Sunday afternoon...Trying to feel like I've not wasted the past four days, I've cleaned the bejesus out of this apartment, planted 24 snow peas, installed (somehow) an external hard drive and am now watching Nothing Sacred, starring Frederick March and Carol Lombard but, most importantly, written by Ben Hecht. It's a screwball comedy but the tone is not unlike a Comden and Green song.

Tonight's Meal - chicken baked with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese with rosemary potatoes. Totally delicious.

1 comment:

Lally said...

Hey, Ever see Jazz On a Summer's Day I think it was called, the documentary on the Newport Jazz Festival from sometime in the late 1950s where Anit O'Day goes off on "Tea for Two" in one of the most amazing performances she ever gave? If not, you must check it out, if it's possible to find.
Lally